Background

Monday, March 26, 2012

Friend visit + food

I have a friend coming for a visit tomorrow.  We're going to make tomato aspic.  Now, no one that I know likes this...my sister, daughter, and husband hate it.  My g'ma, mother, and I LOVE it.  It's a molded salad made with lemon jello, tomato juice, celery, canned peas, canned asparagus, and "scraped onion".  She then served it with a dollop of mayonnaise mixed with a little bit of French salad dressing.  It was a beautiful color!

My g'ma lived upstairs from my family.  She would serve this molded salad to her lady friends when they came over to play bridge.  They had wonderful names...Hortense, Aurelia (she wore the most amazing high heels), and Mabel.  Yes, Mabel.  They all smoked...except my g'ma.  They all got completely SOUSED on whiskey highballs...except my g'ma.  They were a hoot!  When I was maybe 8 or 9 yrs old, I was invited upstairs to have lunch with these ladies.  I'll never forget it...smoke hung heavy in the air mixed with their perfume and whiskey highballs.  OH. MY. GOODNESS.

I really miss these times in my life.  I remember them fondly and I keep realizing that they have molded me and affected me greatly.  For those who know me...yes, I have the molds AND all the table linens AND all the dishes she used for these luncheons.  NO...I don't have the decks of cards...ha ha!

I'll post pictures later.

No comments: